To address and eliminate healthcare disparities for all communities by developing pipeline initiatives aimed at increasing the number of women and underrepresented minorities in orthopaedic surgery, in which only 5% of practicing orthopaedists are women and 13% of practicing orthopaedists are underrepresented minorities.
Physicians EDUCATING Physicians -- Through the development and implementation of reproducible
pipeline programs for medical students (Nth Dimensions Scholars), Nth Dimensions has exposed and
positively impacted the number of women and minorities in orthopaedic surgery.
- 74% is the average annual acceptance rate of Nth Dimensions Scholars into orthopaedic surgery residency programs nationwide.
- 35% of Nth Dimensions Scholars accepted into orthopaedic programs are women; 65% are men.
- 90% of Nth Dimensions Scholars accepted into orthopaedic programs are African American, 5% are Latino, 3% are Caucasian, 2% are other.
Nth Dimensions Scholars are now orthopaedic surgery residents at the following institutions:
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Hospital for Special Surgery
- Northwestern University
- Baylor University
- Howard University
Physicians LEADING Physicians -- As ambassadors to orthopaedics and other specialties through educational innovation, Nth Dimensions has:
- Exposed over 2,000 medical students from over 80 US medical schools on the importance and relevance of orthopaedics and musculoskeletal medicine over the past nine years.
- Collaborated with over 40 practicing orthopaedic surgeons of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons from 30 academic institutions and private orthopaedic practices nationwide to execute key programs.
- Developed and implemented Women in Orthopaedics Leadership programming for residents and medical students.
- Participated as a co-founding organization in the Consortium of Pipeline Initiatives, an alliance of 15 pipeline organizations nationwide, all of which aim to increase the numbers women and minorities in medicine.
Physicians EMPOWERING Physicians -- Mentoring the next generation of physicians to reach their maximum capacity is at the core of Nth Dimensions efforts in conjunction with physicians from national and international orthopaedic associations, including the:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- J. Robert Gladden Orthipaedic Society
- Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- Orthopaedic Surgery Section of the National Medical Association
- American Association of Latino Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Student National Medical Association